Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Welcome to the MAT Willamette Blog!

This blog is for the use of Willamette University MAT students. I'm hoping this will be a way for full time, Aspire, and past MAT students to come together as a community and support one another in a variety of ways. Here are some possibilities to start out:

Listing textbooks for sale/wanted/would like to share

Logistics: carpooling to exams or conferences (such as OTEN, the ORELA, the Praxis, etc) or carpooling to classes or work sites

Support: asking for or sharing advice about challenges faced in the MAT program

Perspectives: sharing experiences at different schools, in varied grade levels or subjects, and so forth

Discussion: any topic--Neil's news updates, reading assignments, experiences with exams, observations from within schools, etc. (Please do observe rules for confidentiality.)

I imagine people (speaking for myself at least) would also welcome sharing of positive experiences, lessons learned, suggestions for making it through the MAT program and remaining sane, teacher wisdom, and stories that let us laugh and feel less alone too. :-)

Thanks! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Ed said...

What a wonderful idea!
I think it is important to share our information with each other.

Here is what I have to share:
I am sure you are aware that teaching and studying is stressful. Right? So, I have learned that it is vital to your career and your health to have a safe and healthy way to relieve that stress. I do so by running. It is a great way to shed those extra pounds from Thanksgiving and I am sure that it is a good way of getting rid of those stress chemicals, like cortisol. No Neil, I am not going to cite my resources. Give it a try and see what you think. Blog about it.
Well, it 5 am. Time for my run. ...but it's raining outside. That stresses me out. Now I'm getting nervous for my run. I feel the cortisol building up. Guess I better go run now.
-Ed

Sara said...

I like this idea. I can definitely see how some time outside focusing on physical rather than mental exertion could be a very welcome break.

Now if I can only find some time when it isn't pitch black in my neighborhood to do it...